Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Experience means rain and summer camp


I think it’s safe to say that first impressions have expired. We have been in Beijing a month now and for better or worse we have decided what it will always be for us— if I truly believed that this blog would have started out “I’m home.”— It’s very difficult to like Beijing. The noxious smells and white sky make most days gloomy. The other night I dreamt about bright blue sky, before thunder and reality awoke me. We had felt the tension of rain for weeks, seen the sky wrought with pollution and felt the sticky air offer the moisture that the environment was craving. I’ve always loved rain; the soft methodic thump can ease any tension and make sleep unavoidable. At home rain seems more innocent, not always necessary but still welcome. For Beijing its innocence is forgone by urgency. It’s not just that you can feel the pollution piling on your skin and clinging to your lungs, it’s that you can see the tops of buildings slowly blend in with the murky sky that was meant to be tinted blue.

Maybe I’m just making small talk with the weather, but my days now are rarely spruced with historical artifacts and funky foods. I have traded that all in for the glisten and glory of Olympic Archery. Happily donning our delectable uniforms four of us have swayed rhythmically on the bus that leads us to work every day. I often feel like a kid at summer camp, and maybe that’s exactly where I am. Nonetheless, I’m gaining impressionable knowledge about archery and showing off my journalism skills as well. It turns out I have them, who knew? While we have grown accustomed to the feel of being inside a venue, awe can still strike. Thoughts of the competition summon up fear and nerves and a slight respect for world’s ability to overcome what it can to compete.

I felt a little twinge of excitement and a connection yesterday as we watched the Men’s team practice, and today when we interviewed Jenny Nichols, the #1 female archer in the U.S. and #8 in the world. (In the archery world, that would be considered name-dropping, forgive me). Although we have been lumped with scores of Americans for weeks, seeing the athletes was relieving, a promise that home is still there and that we really get to share in an experience few others can counter.

I’m limited in what I’m allowed to write and to be honest a little tired. Sorry for the laxed blogging, I will try and keep up with myself. I do want to add, for those of you who may care, that I will give my regards to Lebron James when I move over to Basketball on the 16th! ;-) Take care all,

~Molly

No comments: